Pet Haven of South Carolina (PHSC) is a federally recognized public non-profit
organization. We are dedicated to the preservation and welfare of all domestic animals with an all-volunteer organization and our efforts are funded solely through your generosity! We are dedicated to preventing cruelty to, relieving the suffering of, and providing humane treatment for animals. Our goal is to not only strengthen the bond but also the understanding between animals and humans. It is our mission to provide a safe haven for our community’s abused and abandoned cats and dogs, with the goal of rehabilitation and adoption into permanent loving homes.
As a NO-KILL rescue, all animals brought into the rescue remain under the stewardship of Pet Haven of South Carolina, until they are adopted. We will only consider euthanasia when recommended by a veterinarian to relieve an animal’s suffering due to irreversible injury, illness or disease. We place approximately 185-200 animals per year into loving homes!
Charlie Dieterich, along with his wife Gina, have owned and operated Pet Haven of South Carolina for over 20 years! He dedicates his life to the protection and well being of the animals he rescues! He encourages and promotes spaying and neutering as the only effective approach to reducing the pet overpopulation problem. His mission with Pet Haven of South Carolina is to provide lost and found services and educate the public on the proper care of animals through printed materials and educational activities within the community.
WE HAVE SOME WONDERFUL PEOPLE THAT HELP US!
"Charlie is an angel...
What great work Pet Heaven does for lost little creatures." ~Kenneth Google
"I just ran across this site and realized we had taken a kitten we had found many years ago to this facility. The man who ran the place (sorry I can't remember his name) was very kind, and the conditions were clean and pleasant. I seem to remember the place was being remodeled. There was a woman working there, whom we did not meet, but we were told later she adopted the little female orange tabby. Blessings to those who help the animals in need." ~Toni Google
"the only rescue that answered when I found a kitten thrown outside of the road. Thank you for taking in that sweet baby!!" ~Kyla Facebook
"Very wonderful people!! If I could take everyone home in this shelter I would!!" ~Darcy Facebook
"Great people! Does a lot of great work for the homeless animals in the community." ~Robin Google
"Friendly and always willing to take the stray dogs we have found. Bring a bag of food or a donation to help this family keep helping animals find good homes!" ~ fcasey1002 No Kill Network
"I adopted the sweetest kitten from Pet Haven this Saturday. I have never had anyone to give me the respect , kindness, she showed me so much pure sweetness then anyone I had ever met." ~Louise Facebook
TOP REASONS TO ADOPT A RESCUE PET
- You will save money! Buying a pet can easily cost $500 or more. Adoption costs range from $50 to $200, depending on whether the pet comes from the city shelter or a rescue group that has spent money on boarding, vets and grooming.
- A pet purchased from a pet store is a complete unknown. And, once you walk out of the store, you are on your own. Most pet stores don’t provide any help if you have questions or problems with your new pet. When you adopt, especially from SC Pet Haven, you know what you are getting because we keep a history on the animal since it has come into our care. We will also help you through the familiarization and transition period because we are invested in providing a good home for that animal.
- When you adopt a pet, you are saving a life! When you buy a pet, you not only deny a homeless pet a home, you are supporting an industry that thrives on short-changing the welfare of animals. Puppy and kitten mills, that often sell to pet stores, are in business to make a profit. These animals are often in poor health and have problems like poor socialization skills due to poor living conditions and genetic defects due to inbreeding.
- If you adopt, you get your choice of the age of your pet. Though puppies and kittens are cute and cuddly, they can also be a handful and are not right for everyone. An adult or older pet may be a better fit for you. For example, adopting an adult dog who’s already house-trained and knows basic cues is often much easier than adopting a puppy, who must be taught these things.
- You get just as much love (if not more). An adopted pet is every bit as loving, intelligent and loyal as a purchased pet, even if you get an adult or older animal.
A Cat's Prayer
Now I lay me down to sleep,
the king-size bed is soft and deep.
I sleep right in the center groove.
My human can hardly move!
I’ve trapped her legs, she’s tucked in tight,
and here is where I pass the night.
No one disturbs me or dares intrude
’til morning comes and “I want food!”
I sneak up slowly to begin
my nibbles on my human’s chin.
She wakes up quickly, I have sharp teeth
and my claws I will unsheath.
For the morning’s here and it’s time to play.
I always seem to get my way.
So thank you Lord for giving me
this human person that I see.
The one who hugs me and holds me tight
And sacrifices her bed at night.
~ Author Unknown ~
The Prayer Of A Stray
Dear God, please send me somebody who'll care!
I'm tired of running, I'm sick with despair. My body is aching, it's so racked with pain. And dear God I pray as I run in the rain, that someone will love me and give me a home. A warm cozy bed I can call my own. My last owner neglected me and chased me away to rummage in garbage and live as a stray. But now, God, I'm tired and hungry and cold. And I'm afraid that I'll never grow old. They've chased me with sticks and hit me with stones, while I run in the streets just looking for bones! I'm not really bad, God, please help me, if you can. For I have just become a "VICTIM OF MAN"! I'm wormy, Dear God, and I'm ridden with fleas, and all that I want is an owner to please! If You find one for me, God, I'll try to be good. I won't run away and I'll do as I should. I don't think I'll make it too long on my own, cause I'm getting so weak and I'm so all alone. Each night as I sleep in the bushes I cry, cause I'm so afraid, God, that I'm gonna die! And I've got so much love and devotion to give, that I should be given a new chance to live. So, dear God, PLEASE, PLEASE answer my prayer and send me somebody who WILL really care...
~ Author Unknown ~
A Dog's Prayer
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me. Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.
Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.
When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god...and I am your devoted worshiper.
Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.
And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.
~ Beth Norman Harris ~
"Speak out for those who cannot speak for themselves"
"In his hand is the life of every creature
and the breath of all mankind."
“The righteous man cares for the need of his animal.”
Copyright © 2020 Pet Haven of South Carolina
Site Donated by Burch Digital LLC